Karma Sauce Co. Rochester Style Meat Sauce on Poutine
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 4 hours, minimum, 2 hours for vegetarian version (see below)
2 lbs. of ground beef and/or pork (you can also try substituting venison or anything else you like)
2 Carrots, finely chopped
1 Rib celery, finely chopped
1 Medium onion, finely chopped
2 Cups ground or crushed tomatoes
1 Cup whole milk
1 Cup dry white wine
¼ Cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ Cup unsalted butter
A few sprigs of fresh thyme
1 Bottle of Smokey Karma Sauce®
1/2 Jar of Sabroso spice blend
1 /2 Jar of Instant Karma spice blend
Large (4+quart) Dutch oven or pot with lid
- Bring pot to medium heat. Add butter to melt.
- Add onions, celery and carrots. Cook until vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add meat and both spice blends and cook until meat has lost its raw color, crumbling and stirring with fork or spatula.
- Add white wine and scrape bottom and sides of pot to deglaze.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for a minimum of 3 hours. Stir occasionally (add water if sauce is drying out). The sauce is ready for the next step when the meat is completely tender.
- Uncover and increase heat to reduce sauce to a thick consistency. Remove thyme sprigs and stir in Parmesan cheese before serving.
- Serve with fries, pasta, burgers, hot dots, as an open face sandwich or any way you like.
Substitute 2 lbs. of minced high quality mushrooms for the meat.
Reduce simmer time to 1 hour.
This recipe was inspired by Marcella Hazan’s Bolognese Sauce recipe